Oregon Master Beekeeper
The OSU Honey Bee Lab and the Oregon State Beekeepers Association have teamed up to develop the Oregon Master Beekeeper program. We are currently accepting applications for the Apprentice Level.
Please visit www.oregonmasterbeekeeper.org for more information.
The Apprentice Beekeeper
The Apprentice Beekeeper is the first level of certification in the Oregon Master Beekeeper Program. This level is designed to give those just starting in beekeeping a solid foundation in beekeeping. The information and support will hopefully increase retention of new beekeepers as they develop confidence in their ability to keep bees. Those with existing beekeeping experience may also benefit from the additional training and system for measuring their progress. The training, experience, and guidance provided at the Apprentice Beekeeper level provide the student with:
· The knowledge and confidence to keep bees
· Hands-on experience working with bees, including use of tools and equipment
· Information about how to get started as a beekeeper
· Opportunities for training and mentorship
· Exposure to resources to improve skills and stay current in beekeeping
Enrollment in the Oregon Master Beekeeper Program at the Apprentice Beekeeper level begins with submission a completed application form. A student’s acceptance to the program depends on the availability of mentors. The student will be notified when a match with a mentor is made. At that time, the student needs to submit a $100 fee. Upon receipt of the fee, the student will receive the approved text and other related forms and materials. A minimum of one year is required to satisfy certification requirements.
The student does not need to own bees while completing the Apprentice Beekeeper program, but he or she is encouraged to do so. If the student does not have a colony, his or her mentor will assist in finding a colony for the student to use. The Master Beekeeper Committee will also be available to assist in such situations.
To be certified as an Apprentice Beekeeper the student needs to satisfy the following requirements:
1. Pass a written exam based on First Lessons in Beekeeping and supplemental materials provided with a score of 90% or better.
2. Submit a log with a minimum of 4 entries regarding colony-management activities that cover 12 consecutive months.
3. Earn 6 education points and submit an Education Point Worksheet detailing how the education points were earned.
4. Earn 4 field experience points (one per season) and submit 4 Field Experience Checklists that have been checked off by a mentor.