Do you need antibiotics for Foulbrood control?

Do you need antibiotics for Foulbrood control?  The Food and Drug Administration’s new Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) came in to effect on January 1, 2017, which means that beekeepers must obtain a prescription or VFD from a licensed veterinarian to purchase the antibiotic medications i.e. Tylosin (Tylan), Oxytetracycline (Terramycin) and Lincomycin (Lincomix) for controlling American foulbrood (AFB) and European foulbrood (EFB) diseases in their colonies. Beekeepers can no longer purchase these medication over-the-counter. If you need antibiotics for foulbrood control, please contact your local veterinarian for a prescription/VFD. If your local veterinarian needs assistance in diagnosing these bacterial diseases for providing a prescription, please ask them to contact us:

Dr. Ramesh Sagili
(541) 737-5460

Dr. Andony Melathopoulos
(541) 737-3139

Carolyn Breece
(541) 737-5440

Your veterinarian may also access our website ( for more information on how to diagnose foulbrood diseases. For more details on Veterinary Feed Directive please access the following links: