Priyadarshini Chakrabarti Basu
- Apiculture and Pollination Biology
- Molecular Entomology: Insect Physiology / Proteomics / Metabolomics / Lipidomics / Functional Biology
- Ecotoxicology and Molecular Ecology
- Neuroethology in insects
I am an entomologist working on honey bee nutrition, impacts of pesticides, pests and pathogens on honey bees and honey bee behavior and biology. I employ various research techniques across multidisciplinary fields such as molecular ecology, neuroethology, insect physiology, ecotoxicology, mass spectrometry based multiomics and apicultural practices to address my current research questions. I am also interested in extending my expertise to studying insect pests.
Publication list (* indicates corresponding authorship)
I. Peer reviewed
18. Metz, B.N., Chakrabarti, P. and Sagili, R.R. (2021) Honey bee nursing responses to cuticular cues emanating from short-term changes in larval rearing environment. Journal of Insect Science 21: 7. (IF 1.846)
17. Tsuruda, J.M.#, Chakrabarti, P.# and Sagili, R.R. (2021) Honey Bee Nutrition. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Food Animal Practice – Honey Bee Veterinary Medicine. DOI: 10.1016/j.cvfa.2021.06.006. (# Equal first author contributions) (IF 1.632)
16. Topitzhofer, E., Lucas, H.M., Carlson, E.A., Chakrabarti, P., Sagili, R.R. (2021) Collection and Identification of Pollen from Honey Bee Colonies. Journal of Visualized Experiments DOI: 10.3791/62064. (IF 1.325)
15. Hopkins, B.K., Chakrabarti, P., Lucas, H.M., Sagili, R.R. and Sheppard, W.S. (2021) Impacts of different winter storage conditions on the physiology of diutinus honey bees (Apis mellifera L.). Journal of Economic Entomology toaa302: 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toaa302. (IF 1.938)
14. Milone, J.P.#, Chakrabarti, P.# *, Sagili, R.R. and Tarpy, D.R. (2021) Colony-level pesticide exposure affects honey bee (Apis mellifera L.) royal jelly production and nutritional composition. Chemosphere 263: 128183. (# Equal first author contributions) (IF 5.778)
13. Chakrabarti, P.* and Sagili, R.R.* (2020) Changes in Honey Bee Head Proteome in Response to Dietary 24-Methylenecholesterol. Insects 11(11): 743. (IF 2.220)
12. Chakrabarti, P.*, Carlson, E.A., Lucas, H.M., Melathopoulos, A.P. and Sagili, R.R.* (2020) Field rates of Sivanto™ (flupyradifurone) and Transform® (sulfoxaflor) increase oxidative stress and induce apoptosis in honey bees (Apis mellifera L.). PLoS ONE 15(5): e0233033. (IF 2.776)
11. Chakrabarti, P.*, Lucas, H.M. and Sagili, R.R. (2020) Novel Insights into Dietary Phytosterol Utilization and Its Fate in Honey Bees (Apis mellifera L.). Molecules 25: 571. DOI: 10.3390/molecules25030571 (IF 3.060)
10. Chakrabarti, P.*, Lucas, H.M. and Sagili, R.R. (2019) Evaluating effects of a critical micronutrient (24-methylenecholesterol) on honey bee physiology. Annals of the Entomological Society of America. DOI: 10.1093/aesa/saz067. (IF 1.665)
9. Hooven, L.A., Chakrabarti, P., Harper, B.J., Sagili, R.R. and Harper, S.L. (2019) Potential Risk to Pollinators from Nanotechnology-Based Pesticides. Molecules 24: 4458. DOI: 10.3390/molecules24244458 (IF 3.060)
8. Chakrabarti, P.*, Morre, J.T., Lucas, H.M., Maier, C.S. and Sagili, R.R. (2019) The Omics Approach to Bee Nutritional Landscape. Metabolomics 15: 127. (IF 3.167)
7. Topitzhofer, E., Lucas, H.M., Chakrabarti, P., Breece, C., Bryant, V. and Sagili, RR. (2019) Horticulture Assessment of pollen diversity available to honey bees (Hymenoptera: Apidae) in major cropping systems during pollination in the western United States. Journal of Economic Entomology 1-9. DOI: 10.1093/jee/toz168. (IF 1.938)
6. Chakrabarti, P., Sarkar, S. and Basu, P. (2019) Pesticide induced visual abnormalities in Asian honey bees (Apis cerana L.) in intensive agricultural landscapes. Chemosphere 230, 51 – 58. (IF 5.778)
5. Sagili, R.R., Metz, B.N., Lucas, H.M., Chakrabarti, P. and Breece, C.R. (2018) Honey bees consider larval nutritional status rather than genetic relatedness when selecting larvae for emergency queen rearing. Scientific Reports 8, 7679. DOI:10.1038/s41598-018-25976-7. (IF 4.122)
4. Chakrabarti, P., Sarkar, S. and Basu, P. (2018) Field Populations of Wild Apis cerana Honey Bees Exhibit Increased Genetic Diversity Under Pesticide Stress Along an Agricultural Intensification Gradient in Eastern India. Journal of Insect Science 18 (3): 1 – 8. (IF 1.446)
3. Smith, B.M., Chakrabarti, P., Chatterjee, A., Chatterjee, S., Dey, U.K., Dicks, L.V., Giri, B., Laha, S., Majhi, R.K. and Basu, P. (2017) Collating and validating indigenous and local knowledge to apply multiple knowledge systems to an environmental challenge: A case-study of pollinators in India. Biological Conservation 211(A), 20 – 28. (IF 4.660)
2. Chakrabarti, P., Rana, S., Bandopadhyay, S., Naik, D.G., Sarkar, S. and Basu, P. (2015) Field populations of native Indian honey bees from pesticide intensive agricultural landscape show signs of impaired olfaction. Scientific Reports 5, 12504. DOI: 10.1038/srep12504. (IF 4.122)
1. Chakrabarti, P., Rana, S., Smith, B., Sarkar, S. and Basu, P. (2015) Pesticide induced oxidative stress in laboratory and field populations of native honey bees along intensive agricultural landscapes in two Eastern Indian states. Apidologie 46(1), 107 – 129. (IF 2.856)
II. Conference proceedings and Book chapters
1. Chakrabarti, P. and Sagili, R.R. (2020) 79th Annual Pacific Northwest Insect Management Conference, Section II: Bees and Pollinators, 2020 Research Reports.
2. Chakrabarti, P. (2019) Multifactorial Declines In Global Insect Pollinator Populations – Case Studies In Honey Bees. In: A knowledge based volume on Environmental Issues: Approaches and Practices, Syamaprasad College Publication, Kolkata. Volume 1, pp. 20-31.
3. Chakrabarti, P. and Sagili, R.R. (2019) 78th Annual Pacific Northwest Insect Management Conference, Section II: Bees and Pollinators, 2019 Research Reports.
4. Chakrabarti, P. and Sagili, R.R. (2018) Sterol nutritional physiology in honey bees. Proceedings of the 2018 American Bee Research Conference, Bee World, April 17th 2018.
5. Chakrabarti, P. and Sagili, R.R. (2018) 77th Annual Pacific Northwest Insect Management Conference, Section II: Bees and Pollinators, 2018 Research Reports.
6. Chakrabarti, P., Rana, S., Bandopadhyay, S., Naik, D.G., Sarkar, S. and Basu, P. (2018) 77th Annual Pacific Northwest Insect Management Conference, Section II: Bees and Pollinators, 2018 Research Reports.
7. Basu, P., Bhattacharya, R. and Chakrabarti, P. (2017) Pollination crises in the agro-ecosystems of the tropics: challenges and way forward. In G. Poyyamoli (Ed) Agroecology, ecosystems and sustainability in the tropics. Studera Press, New Delhi.
8. Basu, P. and Chakrabarti, P. (2015) Sub lethal effects of pesticides on pollinators with special focus on honey bees. In P.A. Sinu and K.R. Shivanna (Eds) Mutualistic interaction between flowering plants and animals. Manipal University Press, Manipal. ISBN: 978-93-82460-26-8. Link: http://mup.manipal.edu/
9. Basu, P. and Chakrabarti, P. (2015) Pesticides and the Muted Buzz of the Bees. In Biswas, S., Mitra, M.K. and Bar, R. (Eds) Environmental impacts on health: towards a better future. Kolkata Readers Service, Kolkata. ISBN: 9789382623511.
III. Extension publications
11. Chakrabarti, P., (2021) Fire and Insects: Similarities and Intersections Between Mother Nature’s Most Impressive Forces. American Entomologist, 67(3): 64.
10. Topitzhofer, E., Hedstrom, C., Chakrabarti, P., Melathopoulos, A.P., Rondon, S.I., Langelloto-Rhodaback, G.A. and Sagili, R.R. (2020) Asian Giant Hornet: A potential threat to honeybee colonies in Oregon. EM9297, published September, 2020.
9. Chakrabarti, P. (2019) Phytosterols – the understudied micronutrients in bee nutrition. The Bee Line by the Oregon State Beekeepers’ Association August 2019 issue.
8. Chakrabarti, P. (2019) Phytosterols – the understudied micronutrients in bee nutrition. WAS Journal by the Western Apicultural Society August 2019 issue.
7. Chakrabarti, P. (2019) A review of the sublethal impacts of pesticides on native Indian pollinators – case studies in honey bees. Sujalam Safalam May 8th, 2019.
6. Chakrabarti, P. (2019) OSU Pollination Podcast http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/pollinationpodcast/2019/02/18/dr-priyadarshini-chakrabarti/. February 2019. Second highest number of downloads as of June 17th, 2019 (1146 episode downloads).
5. Chakrabarti, P. (2017) Article entitled “The Many Faces Of Conservation” in Wildlife, October 2017 http://bsedkolkata.org.in/emagazine/wildlife/38-the-many-faces-of-conservation.
4. Chakrabarti, P. (2016) Article entitled “Food security in agriculture” in Food Safety, May 2016 http://bsedkolkata.org.in/emagazine/food-safety/27-food-security-in-agriculture.
3. Chakrabarti, P. (2014) Article entitled “The vanishing honey bees” in www.livelystories.com – an online magazine http://livelystories.com/2014/06/24/vanishing-honey-bees/. June 2014.
2. Chakrabarti, P. (2013) Article entitled “Story of the vanishing pollinators – honey bees” in Sujalam Sufalam, Issue number 2, April – June, 2013.
1. Chakrabarti, P. (2013) Article entitled “The invisible world” in Sujalam Sufalam, edition Wildlife Conservation. Issue number 3, October – December, 2013.